Welcome to the AIRSOCIETY | Air Suspension Forum.

Thread: Alcohol Evaporator for winter daily driver? Good or bad idea?

Slow and low
    Post Thanks / Like

Alcohol Evaporator for winter daily driver? Good or bad idea?

So I am prepping my system for the winter and when my dad and I were putting in air brake anti-freeze, he had the idea that we should just put on an alcohol evaporator that will spray evaporated alcohol directly into the tank. Apparently trucks that run in the cold have been doing it for ages (but don't anymore). Anybody with any experience or input here would be appreciated. My dad already bought the evaporator, so it is happening unless I find out it's a colossally bad idea in the near future.......
    Bagged Rat Rod '85 Chevy C-10 Pickup. Not bad for a first car. Always working on it, but never finished.

Challenge Accepted
    Post Thanks / Like
    how do you set it up?

Slow and low
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky J View Post
    how do you set it up?
    Uhmmm, I will keep you posted. He seems to have it figured out. I'm a bit confused. From the brief conversation we had about it, he wants to have it feeding in evaporated alcohol when the compressors are on. I would assume that he would have it between the compressors and tank, but I could be wrong. We have to put the truck on the ramps tomorrow and see where to mount the evaporator and how to connect it all, but he also got 1/4" hosing and seems to have it all planned out. When we do mount it, I will be sure to take some pics and explain it when I understand it better. I will also let you guys know if/how it works.
    Bagged Rat Rod '85 Chevy C-10 Pickup. Not bad for a first car. Always working on it, but never finished.

Spring Hacker
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would just run the normal antifreeze. Some trucks pumps a ton of air through their system so it would be necessary for them, but probably not for you. However, it wouldn't hurt to put it in if you already have it.

Challenge Accepted
    Post Thanks / Like
    wouldn't this just fill your tank & traps with alcohol after a while?

Coilover Conaisseur
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did a little reading on this last night. Seems that goes between the compressor and the tank, preferably after a water trap, and the alcohol is atomized by the pressure coming from the compressor. Having this small amount of alcohol vaporized in the system prevents freezing of any remaining water in the lines. I would tend to agree with Slamtastic that for systems as small as what we run that some air line anti-freeze would be more than enough, but hey if you already have it why not try it.

Slow and low
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yah, you guys are saying pretty much the same thing I said to my dad. I don't see the point for such a small system. He just thinks it's a pain in the ass to pour in the air brake anti-freeze and he loves tinkering. That said, no harm in trying. I have been doing a little reading into how they use it on air brake systems.

"The alcohol evaporator installs in the discharge line from the air compressor. Place it after the air dryer if one is installed on the truck. The alcohol evaporates as pressurized air passes through the unit. Then, the alcohol vapor is carried down the line into the reservoir and air lines where it does its work to prevent ice buildup in the air brake system."

I have decided that I want to get my system air tight before I put the evaporator on for the sake of priority and knowing if the evaporator causes leaks when installed.

I will put on my new compression fittings this weekend and then do the evaporator next weekend. That gives me more time to research this and plan.

Here are some illustrations I found. Not 100% relevant. But help conceptually.

Challenge Accepted
    Post Thanks / Like
    i moved this thread into the plumbing/compressors section.

Slow and low
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks.

Slow and low
    Post Thanks / Like
    So we mounted the evaporator today under the hood. We are going to run the hoses tomorrow, but will need a few bushings before we can get it working. It is going between one of my compressors and the tank. We are also attaching a fitting between it and the tank for air tools. Yay. I will take some pics tomorrow. It may be overkill, but why the hell not??? Hahahah. I am starting the best collection of brass compression fittings!!
    Last edited by ChoLow; 11-19-2011 at 06:36 PM.

11. Likes Ricky J liked this post
    Slow and low
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, it's installed and working. No problems. Not sure if it's necessary, but can't hurt. I will snap a few pics when I go out later. Running the hoses to/from it SUCKED. I mean it sucked so damn bad. Word to the wise: Don't route shit so you have to reach near your exhaust and cat converter when they are still hot. You will burn yourself. Also, if soapy water drips on a light bulb, it will explode in your face.
    Last edited by ChoLow; 11-20-2011 at 06:25 PM.

Slow and low
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alright, so here it is..... The project that isn't necessary, but gives me winter peace of mind.

Quick rundown:

1/4" hose running from one compressor to the alcohol evaporator (under the hood). Another 1/4 " hose back to the rear of the truck and meets the hose from the other compressor at a joint and that heads into the tank.

There are moisture catchers between my tank and valves and they haven't been collecting any excess moisture since we installed the evaporator. I have also drained the tank since installation and no noticeable excess of moisture due to the evaporator. It just introduces a very small amount of evaporated alcohol to the tank when my compressors are on. It didn't cause any leaks in my air ride system and works great. We have the air brake antifreeze in it ( _______ alcohol..... name escapes me) and I am pretty stoked for winter, no matter how far north I end up.

Challenge Accepted
    Post Thanks / Like
    i hope it's worth the effort. does it dispense the alcohol automatically or do you do it yourself?

Slow and low
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky J View Post
    i hope it's worth the effort. does it dispense the alcohol automatically or do you do it yourself?
    Honestly, it wasn't a big job and I am under there replacing fittings anyways. Trouble light explosion was the only real hassle. It works automatically as long as the compressors are on.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

alcohol evaporator air brakes

alcohol evaporator jar

alcohol evaporator truck

alcohol evaporator

alcohol injector air brake

alcohol evaporator installation

air brake antifreeze injectorair brake alcohol injectorswhat is an alcohol evaporator in a truck foralcohol evaporatorshow to use air brake antifreezehow to put alcohol in a injector on a truckalcohol evaporator kitair brakes alcohol evaporatoralcohol evaporator installalcohol evaporator for air brakesair brake system have alcohol evaporator what happens if you dont keep it filled with alcoholhow to use alcohol evaporator on truckALCOOL EVAPORATORtruck alcohol evaporatershow to install an alcohol evaporatorhow to install a alcohol evaporatorair brake evaporator jarETHANOL EVAPORATOR AIR BRAKESalchol evaporatorair system alcohol injectorwhich alcohol is good for winteralcohol air systemhow do alcohol evaporators workBRAKE SYSTEM ALCOHOL FOR ALCOHOL EVAPORATORair brake alcohol evaporatorshow to install alcohol evaporatorairline alcohol injectorpowered by vBulletin what is alcoholismair line antifreeze injectorHow to fill alcohol evaporatorwhy put alcohol in a lorry airair system alcoholpowered by vBulletin alcoholwhat is an alcohol evaporatorevaporator for alcoholinstalling an alcohol evaporatorhow does air brake antifreeze workair brake alcohal evapalcohol injector installationwhat alcohol can i used for my brake airlinestruck air alcoholalcohol injection systems air brakessemi truck alcohol evaporatorwhere is alcohol evaporater located on truckwhere is the alcohol evaporator jar on a 2013 peterbilthow does a alcohol evaporator worktruck air brake compressorwhat is a alcohol evaporatorair dryer alcohol evaporatoralcohol evaporators semi trucksalcool air braketruck Alcohol systemalcohol spray for air brakeswhat does the alcohol evaporator do on a semialcohol evaporator plumbing for air brakesair brake antifreeze installalcohol evaporators for air brakeshow to fill alcohol evaporator on case w14bwhat is the purpose of an alcohol evaporatorhow alcohol evaporator worksalcohol evaporation reservoirair brake alcohol reservoiruse for air brake antifreezeevaporator jarwehere is alcohol evaporator on truckpic of where to add airline antifreezealcohol evaporation and air brakeswhere can I find air brake alcoholalcohol evaporator semi truck and trailerwhat is an evaporater jarhow an alcohol evaporater workshow do i access the evaporator in my sterling truckalcohol evaporator for trucksairline evaporatortruck air line alcohol evaporatoralcohol as antifreeze air brakealcohol evaporation brakealchol evaporator on truckalcohol injectors for semi trucksAir line Alcohol Evaporatorsairline antifreeze good or badsemi alcohol injector for air lineshow do alcohol evaporators on trucks workhow does alcohal evaporator workalcohal evaporator for air linesalcohol evaporator tank in airbrake systemalcohol evaporate for air brakesalcohol resovoir for truck air systemalchol evaporatorrs may be used toalcohol evaporator on a semibest compressor plumbing baggeddefine alcohol evaporatorwhere can you put alcohol in a trucks air compressoralcohol injector on semi
SEO Blog