Welcome to the AIRSOCIETY | Air Suspension Forum.

Thread: Custom Built 1906 Oldsmobile

Challenge Accepted
    Post Thanks / Like

Custom Built 1906 Oldsmobile

http://booksearch.blogspot.com/2011/...gle-books.html

Meet Bob Ferry and his nice 'ride': a 1906 Oldsmobile Model B Runabout. You might be thinking, "Wow, for a model that's nearly a century old, this car looks brand new." That’s because it is brand new. Bob found old magazines and publications on mechanics with pictures, diagrams and descriptions, by searching the digital treasure trove of Google Books, which helped him build the car from scratch.

"It's been a great avenue for any hobbyist," says Bob, who has amassed a collection of over 100 Google Books, from out-of-print issues of Popular Science and Popular Mechanics to Harper's gasoline engine book and Horseless Age.

Bob is a 51-year-old machinist who lives in Louisville, Kentucky, and runs a family-owned shop that builds industrial machinery. Building 'horseless carriages' has been his passion on the side for years, and an outlet for his skills as a machinist. He belongs to an Internet group of horseless carriage replica builders who share photos and ideas about the cars they are building. Some members have been inspired by Bob to also use Google Books to help them construct vintage vehicles.

When Bob started building his car, he started off with a set of plans he obtained from another replica car-builder, but he also wanted to add as many original qualities to the car as possible that were not in the plans, such as a steamer trunk extension and fringed 'Surrey Top'. He had heard of ebooks, so he went over to Google Books and discovered many old books and magazines about the earliest automobiles from the early 1900s. He loaded them up onto his iPad using his Google Books app and got to work.

Bob says the Surrey Top was especially difficult to design, but that the vast number of digital books were a great resource, with drawings and texts describing various car tops and the pros and cons of each.

The final product, in his own words:
    My car is powered by a 17-year-old Briggs & Stratton 12 HP engine and a hydrostatic transmission from a 15-20-year-old Craftsman riding mower. It is steered with a tiller arm (no steering wheel) and reaches a blazing top speed of about 6-7 miles per hour.

Bob also sees his hobby as a way of giving back to the community. He has been exhibiting his Oldsmobile replica at senior citizen's homes and local shows. The car has elicited huge smiles from seniors. "They would say, 'You know, I used to drive one like that.' Many of these are World War II vets, and I thought, if I can just bring a smile to their faces, let’s do it," Bob says.

Bob plans to continue using Google Books to help him on future car-building projects. In the next few years, he plans to build a 1902 De Dion Bouton French car, a 1920 Norton Racer Motorcycle and an Orient Buckboard. He is studying early engine designs, as he wants to build the engine from scratch on his next replica car.

While he's still a fan of physical books, Bob has increasingly turned to digital books for their convenience, and to find obscure and useful information. “It has really, really been fun,” he says. "I don't know how many books are out there that I would like to try to read each one, cover to cover."

Drive low, park lower.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that is very cool indeed. I would like to see pics of this side by side with an og 1906 Olds to compare the duo.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Horseless Carriage Kits

horseless carriage plans

how to build a horseless carriage

Popular Mechanics Horseless Carriage Plans

horseless driven carriage cars replica or kit

homebuilt horseless carriage plansplanspopular mechanic horseless carragebuld a horseless carrage planshorless carriage replicahorseless carriage replica wheelshorseless carriage replica for salehorseless carriage replicasbuilding a horseless carriagehorseless carriage kits for salewaltham orient buckboard1906 horseless carriage plansoldsmobile replica plansoldsmobile plans1906 olds kit1906 orient automobile buildhorseless carriage replicaoldshorseless carrage steeringhorseless carriage plans kithorseless carraige kit for sale1906 OLDS REPLICA PARTShorseless carrage planshoe to make a horseless carriage tophorseless carriage wheelshow to make a home build a horselescarriage.free1906 oldsmobile kit carhow to build a car from scratchhorseless carraige kitsbuilding replica 1900s carshorseless carriage kit for salehorseless kitsstarts manufacturing runabout replica planshow to plans horselesscarriagereproduction horseless carriage plansfree plans to build a horseless carriagebuilding a horseless carraige1901 olds horseless carriage for salehorseless carriage replicas picturesplans horseless carriage replica for salehorseless carriage free plans1901 olds replica1900s Oldsmobile kitcustom build 1906orient buckboard for salehorseless carriage kit plansBob-Ferry kit-carkit cars horselessmodel car kits horseless carriagehome built automobile 1906 planspicture of 1906oldsreplica carriage build planshorseless carriage buildingBUILD horseless carriage replicabuild replica oldsplans for building a 1906 olds1906 oldsmobile plans1906 Oldsmobile1906 olsmobil kitBob FerryBob Ferry oldsmobilebuild 1900s oldsmobile kit 1906 horseless carriageHorseless Carriage Replicas my version of 1906 oldsmobile1906 Waltham Orient replica kit1906 orient buckboard diagram build a horseless carragegoogle horseless carage replicashow to make a 1906 oldsmobilplanshorseless carriage replica planshorseless carriage kithorseless carriagereplicashorseless carriage plans popular mechanicshorseless carrage kithorseless carriage replica kithorseless kithorseless surreyhorseless carriage kit carhorseless carriage replicas planspopular science plans for horseless carriage
SEO Blog